Thursday, August 18, 2005

Going barefoot

I've taken recently to walking around Greater Tyvek at night barefoot. It's been a long time since I did much barefoot walking, and it's certainly one of life's great and underrated pleasures--it goes without saying it's a different experience than walking shod. My legs, my feet, my toes all find their own order, settling into their proper place in the grand scheme of things. The first night I went out it had been scorchingly hot during the day, and the pavement seemed to hold every iota of heat; my feet were literally burned by the time I came home. The next night it had rained, the pavement was wet; every square inch of burned foot still stung, but the coolness of the wet street was oddly sensual. Now the weather seems to be moderated a bit, the street is neither scorchingly hot nor wet, and I'm looking forward to going out tonight once Tyvek goes to sleep.

No comments: