Thursday, August 25, 2005

While Beast is away

Beast is at the spa right now. For the time being, I have the use of a brand-spanking new F650gs in lurid “Metro Messenger” yellow. This is the third time I’ve ridden the F650, though in each case it has been for regrettably short times and distances. The first was the “Captain America” loaner that carried me through the tornado, as I mentioned previously. The second was rented from Dubbelju Motorcycle Rentals in San Francisco last November for a short, one day jaunt into Napa and Sonoma.

The F650 is to the Beast as a Jack Russell terrier is to a greyhound. I think. I’m not really that knowledgeable about dogs, especially different breeds, but if I had to guess, that is the analogy I would make. Okay, maybe not the greyhound part, but the F650 does make me think of a Jack Russell. It seems smart, playful, eager to please, and is lots of fun in a fairly small package. It certainly seemed to make short work of Trinity Road and I could barely resist the urge to take it cross-country just for the heck of it. But then, time was short and I didn’t want to upset Sparky, who was stuck on some kinda Harley that didn’t look quite off-road friendly, like some Harleys do.
In any case. The F650gs is mine for a day or two, and I’ll try it out on some well-known favorites of mine…just to calibrate it, you know. It won’t be heartbreaking to return it, I’m sure…no worse than returning that (sniff) cute little (sniff) Jack Russell puppy (sniff) to the pound…(sniff).

“It followed me home…can I KEEP IT??”

No comments: